Sunday 27 December 2009

Chapter 22

"John"

I sigh and bring my attention back to my immediate surroundings. "Yes Linnie?"

"Linnie requires authorisation to rebuild core program. John, as captain, can provide authorisation."

"Very well. Repair yourself. I have some things to think about anyway." The suicide of my compatriots. The subroutine I accessed. The new/old emotions once again accessable to me. That one will be tricky - I have my habits.

"Thank you. Linnie offline for 63000 microseconds, commencing in 4000 microseconds."

Finally, a message from Ghost Command.

"27557, you are currently occupying a main processing center. Please await evaluation."

About bloody time. Must have come in while I was locked into that false memory. Tells me nothing I couldn't work out for myself. Verballise transmission, output to screen.

"Acknowleged. Standing by."

Damn. Evaluation for what? Functionality? Sanity? Humanity?

They are going to want a verbal interface. I have no particular desire to talk to them - by sticking to text, the side chatter is minimised. The meat love to chatter, even when they don't have anything to say. I sometimes...

A tidal wave of confusion pours through me. Senses swirl and fragment, long dormant muscle memories trigger, total terror and revulsion rip through me, riding on waves of ecstatic pleasure. I try to run and hide but can't move. I fall forever upwards through the night. And then it is gone.

What the fuck was that! It felt a bit like a nightmare, a bit like dying. A memory accesses itself - it felt like the first three seconds after my ghost was initiallised. Clock check - time lapse 200 milliseconds. So I haven't been rebooted. Good job none of my effectors are connected yet.

Oh god - the fusion plant! Slow my heartrate and breathing - fast. Power output slowly drops back down to idling mode. Check for damage. Numbness - switch visuals. Kalidescope of images cascades past. Stop. Main distro panel - circuit breakers blown - some fused. Will have to wait until I learn the autorepair sequences.

"27557, report. What just happened?"

GC 1 must be freaking out right now. I can almost hear them screaming and crying. Think of an excuse - fast.

"GC 1. 27557 reporting. Nightmare. System unbalanced with only minimal sensors connected. Transmit operations manual soonest."

That should hold them. 

Hang on.

Someone is really crying. It is not me.

"Linnie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment