Saturday 5 December 2009

Chapter 6

Life has got to be a habit. Break orbit, dive through the atmosphere, process the hydrocarbons, then dock and unload. Rinse and repeat.

I talk to no one. Not Carl, not my fellow oil divers. Years follow years without me noticing. I listen to my music, exist in my books. Life is good.

"GHST 27557, this is GHST 29442. Come in please."

I resent the interruption of my routine. Almost I refuse to answer, but the coding under my mind refuse to obey.

"GHST 29442, this is 27557. Continue."

"27557, break for Earth at next orbit"

Hatred lashes me. Why the hell would I wish to see Earth and it's meat puppets again? But the priority override means I am a prisoner in my own body.

"Roj, wilco" not an agreement but an admission of defeat.

As I settle in to the long hyperbolic to Earth I watch 29442 attempt atmospheric landing on Titan. I did not know that ghost's could commit suicide.

"May the god bless you and keep you Carl."

I wish I was a Venusian probe right now. They carry a liquid reservoir to clean their lenses. They can cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment